This is EUREKA, My Portfolio, or My Mini Library. mostly I post about my own real Experiences in life, Educational concerns, Science, Religion, Love Life, Reflection paper, Poem, Fiction and non fiction story, Sport, autobiography, Opinion, Letter,
and many more...

Monday, April 4, 2011

Ateneo de Naga

End of the Assessment II Class Reflection

Through the various topics, stories, games, activities, and assignments, I have learned and understood well what the assessment is all about as never before. I have learned to write a rubric. I have learned how to write performance-based prompt. I have learned to observe a classmate. I enjoyed laughing , smiling a lot at the classroom. I enjoyed indeed. In addition, I learned to create my own port polio and then I submitted it to my beloved Dean Arnulfo Aaron R. Reganit, Ed.D (the Dean of the College of Education, Ateneo de Naga University, City of Naga, Bicol, Philippines). Peer observation made me feel that It seems like to spy someone but at the same time, it enabled me to see how a person can really get to know someone . Something I once doubted. What was particularly interesting for me was the checking the entries. It was there that I learned how one must understand the original purpose of a entry before one can do it up to the finish. Otherwise, the meaning can become somewhat altered from the original intent. These different forms of process of learning allowed me to enjoy, to smile with my class and instructor in what I now define as a learning community.
Prior to this class, I had never thought of education as a learning community. I had heard of the term before, but not in the same context as I have come to understand it in this semester. I now believe that learning should be a voluntary act, and that teaching should be a response to that act—not a burden, not a one-person show. Probably the most important aspect of this assessment class has been learning about what defines a learning community and how it differs from a traditional classroom. Not only does this environment place the impetus to learn on the students, it also offers students the flexibility they need to participate in their own education at their own pace. Many times throughout this semester I had hard work as I could and I also could not participate well at the classroom because of my English background every meeting at a certain time. I participated, but when it was convenient for me to do so. In other words, to borrow a new term, I learned that learning can be both asynchronous. Some of the time my learning took place on my own and then at other times with the class. In fact, I noticed that all of the elements that are crucial in accomplishing work-related goals are also present in this process of  learning environment. For example, collaboration was necessary at certain times during this distance learning class, just as it is in the workplace. I couldn't always "do it alone," just as I cannot always do it alone on my job.
As I reflect upon on my strengths and weaknesses as related to this course, I think that the old saying about how "my greatest weakness became my greatest strength" applies here. One of the problems I first encountered in this class was not being able to get an immediate answer when I was having difficulty with something. Another weakness I have is being afraid to ask for help. As this course progressed, however, I overcame that timidness. I realized that in the working world, everyone helps each other out if a co-worker has a problem. Also, working in teams is important in many jobs. The team project helped me to learn how to be a part of a team. That skill will help me immensely if I get a job at a school or Department of Education, which is my goal. In a traditional classroom the teacher is always physically present, so if there is an immediate need he or she is usually immediately accessible in one way or another (in class or during office hours). This problem, however, turned around as I gradually learned to dig deeper and investigate further for my own answers. I also learned to rely on my learning community (classmates), too. In the beginning of the semester there was an adjustment period, but as the semester progressed and as I began to work with the system, I learned to be less dependent on the instructor and more dependent on me. I think this was a good learning experience. Sometimes teachers answer far too many questions easily when they need to let the student search for their own answer. As a assessment-learning student, I found that it was important to work independently to find solutions to problems. This is where my critical thinking skills came in handy. I don't mean to disregard the need for the learning community, but being an independent learner enables a student to be a better member of that learning community. So, to summarize, my greatest weakness, the inability to access information instantly became my greatest strength, my ability to become an independent learner and achiever.



 Finally, I would like to add that I have really enjoyed the experience of this class. It has been good for me to learn first-hand what this assessment is all about. In one hand, this course has helped me to know myself better. It has taught me skills. I will take it with me to my future career. on the other hand, I have enjoyed this class because it opened my eyes to who I really am as a person. I have learned about my preferred learning style, which is visual. I have become more confident and goal-oriented. My organizational skills have improved greatly. I am looking forward to the rest of my college experience, and to the working world beyond. Thank you for your help and patience.

Note: this entry is one of my entries in the Portfolio, submitted to the Assessment II teacher at AdNU, 2011

No comments: