This is EUREKA, My Portfolio, or My Mini Library. mostly I post about my own real Experiences in life, Educational concerns, Science, Religion, Love Life, Reflection paper, Poem, Fiction and non fiction story, Sport, autobiography, Opinion, Letter,
and many more...

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Ateneo de Naga University High School


Reflection on the Practice Teaching

            45 days of my student teaching experiences have been very advantageous.  In one semester of student teaching, it feels as though I have learned more about the field of education than I ever thought possible.  Many of the educational practices and theories introduced to me as a student were strongly reiterated while I was present in the classroom.  However, I also learned new practices and teaching tips from my cooperative teacher, ma’am YING; my adviser of the practice teaching, Ma. Veronica E. Jallores, and of course some good advises from my class mates. I have learned. And I will continue to learn with each passing day to be a professional teacher, later on in our beloved country East Timor.
As an East Timorese Future Teacher, I was so lucky since, our practice teaching’s advisor, Ma. Veronica E. Jallores installed me in Ateneo High School, a very best and very expensive High School in Bicol. It is seven kilometers away from main campus. Mostly, the Class starts at 7:40am, and it ends at 5:00pm.  At the Ateneo High, I taught Physics for fourth year students, LG 4222, and LG 4423. My cooperative teacher is Ms. Marieta Morcilla Rapi. She is very kind, humble, respectful and very responsible Physics teacher, I ever met.
 The first week of observation class was very important. Through the observation, I realized that, a teacher must enforce his or her rules and be consistent.  The moment that the students feel a certain amount of freedom or power, they will take more and more.  I feel that once a teacher loses control of his or her classroom, it is almost impossible to regain.  Thus, a teacher must always organized and in control.
When, I was given an opportunity to teach the students, I held full responsibility.  In other words, I was 100 percent responsible for designing my own syllabus. I was completely overwhelmed with the responsibility, yet I also felt that I was truly introduced into the teaching profession.  I quickly developed a solid routine and learned the importance of being efficient.  I really enjoyed working with my cooperating teacher.  Ma’am Ying allowed me to have great freedom with the classes and encouraged me to try any new lessons or ideas that came to mind.  She also offered me tips when appropriate and was always willing to help out when I needed it.  And importantly, she also gave me the test paper to check, or other one around, I am the one who asked for it. Sometimes, I also asked my cooperative teacher whether I am going to teach or not. It was really interesting. As time passed by, I am aware that the LG 4222 and the LG 4423 are little bit “NAUGHTY”. However, they are intelligent, diligent, and participative students. I do like them.
            Interacting with the students immediately became the most rewarding aspect of teaching.  Even though I held the title of “teacher”, and “sir” inside and outside of the class room, I learned a significant amount from these students.  Motivation proves to be one of the most important words that I take away from my student teaching experiences.  I have always known that students need motivation to learn their material; however, I never realized how powerful it really is.  Even the smallest words or actions can spark motivation in students, and this is vital.  Even by showing motivation in my speaking voice, students showed and increased interest in the material and were able to raise their hands to recite freely without hesitation.     
     
The Physics Majors 2007-2012
           The greatest challenges that I faced while in the classroom were the fact that even though I as the teacher wanted each of my students to do well in my class. These challenges are class room management, and the language barrier. I noticed, because of these two challenges, some of the students did not have chance to focus well, while others I did it very well. With these two challenges, I would say that the students can only gain knowledge by taking advantage of the opportunity in front of them – their education.  Some may chose not to benefit from this opportunity.  Once again, this situation emphasizes how important it is to stimulate intrinsic motivation in each of the students. 
My student teaching experience provided me with a true taste of the Jesuit Education_ the Philippines Education_ the education world.  I now have much more confidence in my teaching ability and feel confident that I chose a career I will love. I am very excited to have my own classroom, and I now have a better feel for the challenges that will come on my way.  Each day is a new day, and no days in the classroom will be identical learn from each day and each experience. 
            Practice Teaching at Ateneo High School, I have learned that: Teachers are said to be best artists because unlike artists who work on canvasses, marble, stones, woods, and buildings, they shape the habits of the mind and feelings and develop the character of the learners. Unlike the artists or painters, authors or musicians, and architects whose creative works people admire and applaud, the creativity of the teachers of the  teachers done only in the classroom has no audience to applaud. It is a noble work indeed. As an East Timor Future Teacher, this practicum would be a big challenge for me.          
I have tools and experiences now. Really, I am very happy, because I am so sure that these beautiful rare  experiences that I have been through, automatically it will be my guides and references as well, so that when I go back to my beloved country East Timor later, I will apply them in helping my country through teaching in my own small ways.  Thank you Ma. Veronica E. Jallores. Thank you ma’am YING. Thank you ATENEO. Thank you GOD.
By Moreira, D Manuel. A Reflection paper to be submitted to the  Practice Teaching Teacher
__Ateneo de Naga University__Philipppines. 2011.

No comments: